Website goals are the specific and measurable things that generate value for your business, and are the foundation of an effective digital marketing strategy.
The obvious value generating goals for businesses are activities with financial transactions attached to them, such as online booking forms and shopping cart checkout completions. Goal setting applies to much more than online payments and e-commerce businesses.
Here are some examples of effective non-payment related goals:
- A visitor sending your business a new enquiry, giving you a newly qualified sales lead.
- A current customer using a frequently asked questions section, instead of calling, or emailing, customer support.
- A visitor looking for specific business information, such as opening hours or location, and easily finding it online instead of needing to make a phone call.
- A visitor providing their details and consent for you to directly promote your business to them through email or social networks.
Goal completions create value in three different ways:
- Immediate income Eg. online purchases and sales enquiries.
- Reduced expenses Eg. supporting past customers, answering questions.
- Potential future income Eg. driving repeat business, staying in touch with visitors until they are ready to purchase.
When brainstorming goals for your business website, try to assign a dollar value to what that individual goal completion is worth to your business. For example:
- A customer support feature that avoids a five minute phone call, while keeping a customer happy, might be worth the cost of the staff members time or lost productivity caused by the phone call.
- A new customer enquiry form that collects all the right information, and delivers it in a usable digital format, may have a value equal to the time and effort of delivering the same information via fax or as an email attachment.
- A website visitor joining your email subscriber list will be presented with many opportunities to purchase from you in the future, even though they weren't ready to buy from you today. By comparing the sales rates from your email newsletters you could figure out how valuable each new subscriber is.
What are your website's goals?
Get in touch if you'd like help planning, implementing and measuring effective goals that generate value from your business website. Our initial strategy session is obligation-free and will help you understand what your business could achieve online.